UPDATE May 2022: In April, we reached out to about 150 people that had previously expressed interest in the possibility of internet service through a locally-owned cooperative.
At the time, the Mission Valley Internet Cooperative (MVIC) team was seeking a significant increase in community engagement in order to continue developing the cooperative. Unfortunately, while a number of people responded to that email to offer their support, we feel that the current level of engagement and energy are not sufficient to successfully move this project forward. Given this reality, the MVIC team has decided to suspend our work for the time being.
We still believe strongly in the benefits and viability of a cooperative approach to internet service, and we would be more than happy to support any group that would like to continue pushing this project forward, whenever they decide to do so.
We are also aware of several other projects attempting to bring affordable and reliable broadband to the area and will continue to monitor the situation as those projects develop to see if and how a cooperative approach might be included in them.
The MVIC Team
Co-ops cannot be formed without active participation from their members and their communities. As is true of many community projects, the more people working together, the faster the project proceeds. We are a group of Mission Valley residents who volunteer their time and energy to prepare the cooperative. We are meeting every other Wednesday.
If you think you can help with one of the following tasks we’re working on, please get in touch!
- Talk to your neighbors and share flyers
- Organize information
- Write newsletters
- Develop graphics
- Develop texts for website, flyers, presentations
- Design website, flyers, presentations
- Plan events
- Present at community events
- Edit videos
- Promote the co-op to your local social networks or at community events
- Plan and implement sales / marketing / customer relations
- Maintain social media channels
- Develop and deploy surveys
- Plan budgets
- Create a business plan
- Plan logistics and operations
- Build out network infrastructure
- Develop the coop’s governance structure
- Draft bylaws
- Draft articles of incorporation
- Manage finances
- Finalize our feasibility study
- Explore grants, loans and other initial funding opportunities
- Write grant proposals
- Negotiate loans
- Research further details of technical options for launching our mesh network in the Mission Valley
- Organize a member-drive
- Hire a manager
If you or someone you know can dedicate 2 to 3 hours per week to help, please get in touch with us by emailing us at email@example.com or by calling Mission West at (406) 676-5919.
We meet every other week, typically a Wednesday at 6 – 7 PM.
We look forward to hearing from you!